Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Witches Cup

Well I drove up to Salem to participate in the Witches Cup race.
Just a FAQ about the drive although I don't want this to be a blog where I continuously whine about traffic!
Q. How long does it take to drive to Salem from Providence?
A. Under normal circumstances it takes about an hour and a half and is about 75 miles.
Q. How long does it take to drive to Salem if you leave Providence at 3PM on a Wednesday.
A. It takes two hours and forty five minutes (2:45).
Q. Why does it take so long?
A. Because too many people attempt to get on 3 north and especially 93 north from Boston.
Q. During this trip, how long does it take to get from RT 2/128 North to the I93 Exchange - this is about a ten mile stretch.
A. This takes one hour ten minutes (1:10)

My performance is this race was lackluster to say the least. I am disappointed in myself and really aggravated in general. It took me a little bit to click in which in this field made my mid pack position at the starting line evaporate and which put me squarely at the back. From the line guys were getting gapped back there (which is why you stay out of the back of these at all costs). I mean gapped - like big gaps. Like, why did you come out to race gaps. It wasn't really all that hard at first. It felt like the end was near but I thought I could make it - I got about 20 minutes in before the last ten or so guys came off the rear together and since I was in the rear with them I came off. I think there was a crash in the corner (I heard one but didn't see it) and then a huge gap opened. No chance to chase on - believe me I tried with another guy and couldn't make it up. This thing then looked like it slowed down the field was all together. Some guys who are really strong came off also which made me feel a bit better but whatever I know I can stay with a really strong group like this.

I was super mad at the end of this event. I am currently still really pissed off and unpleasant and I really don't want to be. I should have been riding more this week. I should have gone to Wompatuck last night. I should have raced this weekend. Truth be told, I was lazy and now I am paying the price.

There was even traffic on 93 at 9PM going south. Like 15mph from Columbia Rd. to Furnace Brook Pkwy- another section of a few miles.

I will be out at Fall River doing both the Cat 3 race and the 1-2-3 race. I perhaps may go to Loudon although thats damn far from here for a crit. I am absolutely focussed on this race right now. I want to be out racing. I am a better racer than what happened tonight this much is for sure.

2 comments:

IMA said...

Witch's Cup cast as spell on me last year. I went up there with wife and child in tow. Got shelled after ten laps- had a bad day. I probably wrote about it somewhere on my blog.. I hated that course- for it's bumpiness. A race venue should be smooth- there are enough friggin road to choose from that we don't have to be racing crits on shit pavement.
Onward and upward!

Aa said...

Well, to make both of you feel better...
I called in sick on Wednesday. I did some stuff, went for a short ride, ate lunch and then got in the car to head to Salem.
I left my house at 2:30. Why so late? I was enjoying my day off...
I get just about there and only hit traffic one 114 off of 128. It takes 40 minutes to travel 4.5 miles to the venue.
I jump out of the car and into my skinsuit, sprint over to registration and...
it was closed.
I just drove 225 miles, sat in traffic, nearly pissed myself, and then I couldn't race.
F that.