Saturday, August 9, 2008

Walking

I've been doing a lot of walking the past few days. Today is no exception. I woke up this morning (late) and did the normal dog walking routine, eat breakfast, surf the internet and drink my usual massive amount of coffee. I then decided to take this pair of pants to the tailor b/c like every other piece of clothing I own they do not fit properly. On my way out of the driveway the car is pulling hard to the left...this can only mean one thing - flat tire. So I pumped it up with my bicycle pump (217 pumps by the way will inflate the small tires on my car to about 30psi) and took it to the service station to have it plugged. Yes, I can do this myself but its a real pain in the ass so I'd rather take it somewhere. I should have done it myself but I probably would have had the same results.
One of the lugs that holds the tire on snapped with a hand wrench. WTF? These things are supposed to be strong, stronger than the force of a single human being. Strong enough to hold a tire on a car and stop it going 80mph. If I remember right momentum = mass*velocity and a car has a hell of a lot of momentum at freeway speeds. Anyway, this created a problem because now there are two things to fix: the pin which attaches the wheel to the car, and my tire (which has to be replaced). The huge metal piece in my tire had to lodge itself near the sidewall - which means the tire is garbage now. So what I thought was going to be a 20$ or so job now is going to cost like 100$ (probably more). Yep, probably getting somewhat ripped off, but maybe not. I can't tell. They wouldn't replace the pin for free which kinda pissed me off but they took a lot off the labor.

At least I got to walk a mile and half home. So I'm not going to Nashua - I could take the train up to Lowell and ride up there but thats a major pain in the ass. Nor can I really spare the extra money right now.

There's gonna be some running race in Providence Sept. 7. I might hit that up. 5K. I've never done a running event before. I hope they have some running events later on in the year because I think I'll be more conditioned then. November/December would be good.

1 comment:

Brendan said...

I honestly always wondered what it would take to pump a car tire up with a floor pump. Figured in a worst case scenario I could use the one I leave in my car..