Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Thunderstorms and Fall River

Fall River: I really like this race. I signed up for the Cat. 3 race on bikereg and then I signed up for the P-3 race on the day of. The 3 race was at a decent pace, nothing too severe at first. Yabroudy and 3 Exodus guys went off the front at 15 laps to go. I knew that this would be too long for me to stay out so I didn't go with them. About 8 laps, maybe 10 laps is my absolute limit in a break like that with those guys. They stayed away the entire time which is exactly what I feared when they went away. Besides, these guys were probably the strongest guys in the race. Not a lot of guys were willing to chase either - someone would go off the front and the field would let them and then a half lap later they would get caught. Same old story. The field spent the last 5 laps getting ready for the sprint for 5th. I felt like total shit at the end so I didn't do the P-3 event I spent $12 on. I need to be riding more, this I know. In an attempt to ride more yesterday I went out in the morning - north to Lincoln and Smithfield land. It was sunny in Providence, nice temperature, a bit windy though. I got to Wilbur Rd. and proceeded to do repeats up it. It started raining big drops. Big drops are bad. I instantly turned around and thought that I could somehow go the direction where there was blue sky and "beat" the thunderstorm. I do know this is impossible but I tried anyway - and thus failed miserably. Then it started dumping down big drops, it got windy, cold and started to thunder. No shelter anywhere and I'm not really a fan of being out in a thunderstorm like this. So I decided to cut the ride short and head on in. I basically time trialled back to town. Once I descended Woodward into Prov. guess what? It was sunny and dry.

No comments: