Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Palmer

Raced out at Palmer with Scott on Sunday. The race itself was pretty easy, no real hard parts...a bit of effort on the rollers but nothing really that hard. I tried for a few minutes to get away with some other folks at about mile 35 or so but it wasn't going to happen as we just dangled off the front for a few minutes. Everyone drifted back and awaited the inevitable super crowded field sprint - yes... the sixty mile waiting game. The super crowded field sprint was just that - super tight/crowded and I thought really annoying. I don't like racing where its like a fast group ride with a dollar/points value town line sprint at the end but whatever - the race was fun anyway. I thought I was in a good spot, and I felt real good but I really wasn't in a good spot so I really didn't try all that hard to sprint it out - just kind of pedal on at the pace of the field. This race would have been better served if somehow the last 2 miles or so would have been open road w/ no yellow line (from the railroad bridge onto the finish) but that would have been tough to pull off logistically. With that said, these races are always put on really well and its a real production to put one on so my hats off to the promoters. There were a lot of young and crazy riders in here which made for a race that was far different than Ninigret/Wells or Charge Pond.

Jiminy next week...not sure yet. Maybe & then again, maybe not. Wells Sun.- probably as I can't do the Blue Hills Classic b/c they don't have my category or age group. Sterling next weekend. I like Sterling because you cannot sit in on the sprint - you've got to sprint up that thing - a lot more equity in that sprint. I've been in this race where two guys formed a breakaway that whole race - 60 miles & without a lot of help from their teams. Now theres some bike racing which I respect.

Despite the fact that I thought the race was easy I'm pretty tired still today. Maybe I'll get some time in tomorrow. Oh well...same old story here - this year is going to be called the "year of recovery". Today I also got formally admitted to my graduate program which is a very good thing for me at least - one less headache.

No comments: