Monday, April 7, 2008

Wells Ave.

Wells Ave. on Sunday was cold. It was much colder there than Providence - icy, windy and little wet. I was freezing my ass off before this race began - during warm ups and especially during the eternity that we were on the start line. Scott, Mike, and Joe were there representing Millworks One - everyone was out there riding strong and making a solid showing. Thanks Joe for the glasses. The field was large and there was a lot of talent there - nobody let anything go today so the race ended in a bunch sprint. Today I'm a bit tired and I have a little ache in my throat so I'm going easy today. I was going to do a longer type ride (which lately during the week is about 1.5h, which I know sucks but hey thats life isn't it) with hill intervals (I planned Wilbur Rd/Harris Rd. 4X + until failure) but I don't think I can put a truly full effort into them nor do I think this would be a wise thing to do. While I do know intellectually colds are caused by viruses (and not by freezing your ass off) there is something about getting physically chilled and getting sick. I do not care nor care to care if it can be scientifically proven that this does not happen. Training a lot definitely makes me more prone to be sick - this I know for a fact from experience. This week I need to get in one day of hard sprint training - preferably hill repeats, I think this will get me ready for the race. I'd also like to get in one day of moderate/tempo riding at a longer distance.

I'm going to put in a 'shock week' next week so I'm not going to bother myself about going nuts over distance this week - I'll worry about that next week where I do all long, long rides. The way I look at is like this, the first long road race is Turtle Pond (which I'm probably not doing) and then its Palmer - which is only 60 miles or so and thus not all that long. Then its Sterling on the 10th of May, again not all that long and none of the races I'm doing are back to back until the middle/end of May. I do need to get my ass in gear though if I'm going to Fitchburg...I'll make the Fitchburg decision based on how I feel in mid May. I'm also using faulty logic here to justify my poor training habits over the past month! So, anyone around next week?

Predictions: 1. Memphis is going to take Kansas apart tonight. projected score...Memphis - 82: Kansas -69. 2. It will rain, as currently forecast on Saturday. I'm already getting raingear ready.

No comments: