Thursday, July 31, 2008

Seriously Easy

Tonight I did the 2nd seriously easy run of the 2008 late summer season. Ten minutes - easy. Kept HR low, low, low. I ran in cemetery to be on grass and most importantly, not seriously embarrassed by running my slow ass on public streets. Mentally I know I've got to do something different, apart from riding my road bike - as I felt great after this 'run.' I hope to be running quite often by the end of the fall - hopefully up to an hour so I can stay fit and mentally refreshed throughout the winter.
I'll give a report out on my soreness factor tomorrow. In past when I've begun running after a purely cycling regiment I've gotten SORE for a LONG TIME. Maybe I'll put in a decent cross season this year...its an awful long road season and my hats off to those folks who race every weekend effectively. I can't seem to do this yet. While my burnout state is better this year than it was last year I vacillate from being seriously psyched up for races and not having any motivation at all to race. Whatever motivation I had (like last week) has seemed to vanish almost overnight!
I don't know if I can bring myself to drive 2+ hours to Concord on Sat. although I might go up to Bow on Sunday. A :45 minute crit is not really worth 5h in the car for me at this point this season.
I went on a seriously fun MTB in Big River last night with Mike and Lynn. We went swimming after which was a blast.

2 comments:

Brendan said...

I just ran on Wed for the first time in ~ 4 years. You might've seen a pathetic looking sweaty guy on the east side..Same thing though, 10 minutes then I made myself stop. I walked to warm up for 10, and walked to cool down for 15. The legs aren't too bad 2 days later, I rode Foxboro last night and while the legs hurt it didn't really effect the ride. The cold water trick seemed to help.

I'm going to really ease into it. I remember past attempts where I would just go out and run 3 or 4 miles and then barely be able to walk for a few days.

Brendan said...

Yeah, every time I've tried running I've gotten real sore so I'm sticking with easy 10 -20 minute easy, easy runs until the fall. Hopefully I build up some running fitness so I'll be able to run productively this winter. Riding gets tough for me in the winter b/c darkness and cold but running is fun.