Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Rest Week

Well I think I'm going to take a rest week. I didn't plan this but I still am a bit tired from Attleboro and I shouldn't be this far out. I was going to do sprint intervals today but they will wait. Attleboro was a decent race. The 30+ was fun, the Cat. 3 race got boring by the end. I think I went around that course 90 times, which is about 20 times too many. Good training though...hopefully I finally truly recover soon. I felt like crap at the end of this race which probably accounts for my long recovery time. My long recovery time could also be related to stress as I'm taking full load of summer courses right now and there is a lot of stuff to do. While in reality none of this stuff 'matters' in a financial sense - it matters to me and so I've got to finish up strong, just another week. Most of the big stuff is due this week so I should be OK next week.

I keep getting these emails about the bike lane on Blackstone. Lots of emails. I really want to reply but I don't see the point. Arguing with people does not get you anywhere, ever. In case you haven't been over there they put a bike lane where the right lane of the Boulevard used to be. They actually scraped off the dotted center line. I think its a good idea. Never liked the two lane approach anyway, too much like an expressway. I've ridden hundreds, probably thousands of loops there. I think I've seen one rollerblader...ever. Very few runners, most take the middle. There is now enough space for like five runners to run abreast in the far right pedestrian lane and not even come close to the bike land. I run there sometimes in the colder months actually. Yep, in the road. Nope, not going to change that either. Yep, don't care if I get yelled at. In one ear, out the other. I'll yell back and taunt anyway, other runners will do the same so I suggest that no one decides to be a hero and tell a runner where to go. Bikers can go around a runner and its not really a problem. The lane gives us more space and more of a right to use the road - we now have a lot of road now. Its a park which means its recreational space. This new striping cannot be changed anyway so we all mind as well accept it and enjoy it.

1 comment:

Brendan said...

I can't wait to yell at you on the Blvd. ;)

Seriously though, the lane is kind of nice - the only sketchy thing is being passed by cars on both sides at once... The parking lane is the width of the travel lane so people are just driving in it. Keep an eye on your six if you're out there.