Saturday, July 5, 2008

40% Chance of Rain

Just so I'm on the same page as the National Weather Service a 40% chance of rain does not mean that you stand a 4/10 chance of being rained on. It means you will be rained on 40% of the time. The first half of my ride was fine, out to North Smithfield, doing some solo hard pulls and 3-10 minute TT efforts. I felt really good. Then it began raining. I crashed the other day, not too hard, but kinda hard - so I've got some cuts and scrapes, big deal, but I left the ones on my legs uncovered.

I will never do this again (leave leg cuts uncovered). Why?

Well, it began raining & where did it begin raining you may ask? Yes, thats right, North Smithfield. Now North Smithfield isn't all that far from Providence by any means, but its not exactly in town either. I was about 20 miles into my ride. At first it wasn't bad, just drizzle and some big rainy drops here and there. However, once the road got wet spray began to creep off my front tire. My legs got sandblasted with everything on the road the entire way home. It doesn't hurt that bad - its hurts just bad enough to put someone like myself in an awful bad, grumpy mood. I was real pissed off the whole way in. I ducked out to RT 7 and commenced a TT effort into town. So, in retrospect it was good that it began raining as I got a superior workout in.

BTW: It stopped raining once I came down Cobble Hill into Pawtucket. I knew that was going to happen.

I signed up for Attleboro: 30+ and Cat 3. Not sure about New Britain if I'm going out there or not. I might, or I might not. Probably Claremont in NH on the 19th and Nagutuck on the 20th. Probably Hilltowns on the 26th, but I might not and focus on the Norwell race on the 27th.

No comments: