Sunday, February 17, 2008

Training philosophy

I became vexed when I began to watch the Tour of California on Cycling.tv. I do not like being in a state of vexation.

Problem has been solved. I've got an English stream from Steephill.tv and a full screen video feed from cycling.tv. The cycling.tv has no audio so the feed from steephill solves this. I'm amped about this and no longer vexed.

Today I had a great ride. Joe. B. and I departed from White Elec. about 9AM and met Murat on Rt. 14. Although it was a touch cold when I left my house, but it seemed fine later. We went into the Weeds - Coventry and Scituate. We hit some good hills - esp. Harkney Hill Rd. - a very tough little climb. I looked on Google Earth and it has a about a 200' vertical rise and I'd estimate it by the effort it took to get up it as between 5-7% which was tough to get up-probably one of the harder things I've done this year. Lots of 1-4% grades out there lots of up and down. We went rather hard, some parts probably too hard - which thus fits into my training plan and overall training philosophy.

A cornerstone of this philosophy is the principle of Environmental Periodization™. Environmental Periodization is a training system I have developed over the years of living in sloppy New England. It basically dictates that when the weather is nice you go hard (and long if you have the time). The other 50% of the time when the weather sucks then you don't have to ride and thus, maintain a proper balance in your training. Yes, I'll peak at the *wrong* place - as if there is a wrong place to get fast, possibly get overtrained - a real problem I've had to deal with in the past, or maybe get burnt out - another issue I've struggled with, yet...I'll still peak somewhere (hopefully). Rest weeks happen when it rains for a week straight. Hard weeks happen when the weather is nice for a month straight. A future discussion of the other training philosophy I have developed will ensue in later entries. This philosophy is called Occupational Periodization™.

Stats: 65 miles...3:50 so that about a 16.9/17MPH average which is hard for me this time of year for that distance. Overall, I'm happy w/ this ride and its training value. Next week 1000 Sunday. Racing starts 3/2 - Ninigret. If I feel good I'll go to Bethel. If I don't - more training races.

No comments: