Friday, February 8, 2008

Chains


I put these together last month. I used cable 5/32...(I forget) and standard ferrules. I did not have the tool to cinch down the ferrules so I used a chisel and a hammer. I broke one set but in anticipation of this I had extras.

The chains work great in the snow. I used them in the big storm on the 13th of December. Remember all that ice that was around - not a problem either. Obviously, no standing or power riding - and the rear skid out bad, but the ride was stable.

I have a messed up old specialized with the seatpost frozen in position that I ride in the snow. No gears - not fixed but just a short chain. Its an easy gear for me but its really hard to ride in the snow so even flat terrain is a workout. Brakes are adequate but not great. I use motor oil on the chain. This bike would fit in many areas of the third world.

No comments: