Sunday, February 10, 2008

Ice, snow, fog, sun, rain, wind, sun, rain

Todays early ride featured a bit of everything. I set out about 8AM...go down Cypress St. and notice that the road is covered in a bit of ice. Since I know its a little colder to the west, I decide to turn around and go east. I skidded to a stop, ascend Cypress and go out to Seekonk.

Crossing the Henderson Bridge I was a bit above the fog layer - I wish I had a camera. The fog had presented itself as an undercast even from this low elevation. Once I got off the bridge I got into the fog. I hate riding in fog...cars have less visibility. I'm always wary on weekend mornings due to the still drunk, massive hangover factor of many drivers coming from the places where they crashed out for the night. Two cars had a strong weed smell coming from them. Its amazing how easily you can smell weed when you're riding. Furthermore, people will run you over on their way to church. It is imperative to be extra careful next to churches when people get out - they will also run you over. So I just kept it easy and way over to the right in EP. Damn wet though - lots of puddles and grit.

Fog is still with me in Seekonk. Wet as hell. Melting snow on the road. Ice patches. Not a problem though. The snow on the trees was melting which made it seem as if it was raining. Getting soaked at this point.

Fog goes away and sun comes out. Ahh...I love riding in the sun. Still just as wet though. Push the pace to stay warm. Feel great - I haven't felt this good in a long time on the bike. Ride up to Attleboro, over to Taunton through Dighton and into Swansea. Stop at Bikeworks to pick up some lube because my chain was dry by this point. Bikeworks isn't open. It did not snow out here yesterday so everything is dry and the weather is still calm, sunny and warm.

I've gone about 40 miles by this point so now I decide to turn back home. There is a wall of clouds rapidly darkening in front of me. I think I'll be fine - I'll be back in about an hour or so. It is still sunny and calm. No, it won't rain on me now. I'll make it home just fine. I might even do a few laps on the Blvd. to meet my arbitrary miles/hours requirement.

About 20 minutes later it pours on me and a strong headwind kicks up. I begin to get nervous about snow because its getting a little colder, although I can't really gauge the temperature because I'm going more or less balls to the wall. At least my bike gets lubed up. I suggest this method for training.

Once I got home the sun came out and the wind died. Time to wash the bike - my chain is beginning to rust a bit and I've accumulated more grit than any other ride I've been on this year. Yes, when I was cleaning the bike it clouded up and poured on me.

Stats: 54 miles. 3:15. I was making about 18 mph until Summer St. in Rehoboth...where it turned into a windswept rain - this slowed me way the heck down.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

i still haven't gotten all the grit and crap off my bike from yesterday. my cross bike didn't even get that dirty this winter.

Brendan said...

It IS strange how easily weed can be detected when you're on your bike, isn't it? Weird how it's almost always out in the burbs (Seekonk/Reho.), and less prevelant in town. On the bright side at least the stoners don't toss empty beer bottles at cyclists!