Sunday, June 1, 2008

Western RI has a lot of little hills

that really hurt me today. I rode with a couple new local guys today - I was very impressed how strong they were. Tempo/tt efforts the entire time, yeah the time - 4 + hours, 76 miles. So I'm pretty beat right now. Left knee has some issues...if you call shooting pain on effort inside your knee an issue and thus had to be the lame guy on the ride on the way in who says "you guys take off and I'll roll on in." But whatever, I'm going to ice it down and it should be alright. Its happened before but this time was a lot of pain so I've got be careful. This ailment probably has to do with the sheer number of hills we did - we were either climbing or descending most of the time and most of the time I was in the big ring spinning a big gear which felt comfortable but must not agree with my muscular-skeletal system. I made it for about three hours before I didn't feel good anymore which isn't bad considering I haven't ridden for over three hours since February. I'm going to make a better attempt to put long rides in more frequently although I'm convinced that they can take away from your fitness...especially short distance fitness, if done too often. Since most races are crits I'm going to be very careful about mega hard long distance efforts.

Ninigret on Weds. A group got off and I missed it. Same old story. I tried my hardest to get into something else but to no avail. Steve, Kellogg and myself tried to put something together but it didn't make it - one of these days I'm getting into the break. Arc en Ciel blocks so well too - all of us have to be aware of this in the field and if an Arc en Ciel guy is there - especially one of the really strong guys, then we should just concede that he is not going to pull through and the person who is in the third position should come around.

Ninigret on Wednesday and on Saturday. Lots of flat road, wind and spinning in circles. Hopefully something can happen. Probably hit up another torture ride on Sunday.

No comments: