Saturday, June 7, 2008

Spring to Summer

Yesterday it was spring. Today it is summer. Go figure. Well, I did take the bus down to Ninigret today - It dropped me off on the corner of Waites Corner Rd. and RT 2. About 12 or so miles down to the Ninigret venue. A good warm up. So I warmed up and just rode around the lot a bit, chatted with some folks and hit the start line. Race started well - some early attacks but nothing substantial. Yabroudy took off about halfway in and took about 6 guys with him. A few others joined in the break after Yabroudy soloed the final 8 or so laps and the break thus slowed down a bit. There were about 12 of us in the break, pace was decent - a few guys attacked the break which isn't wise as they didn't have the staying power to stay off - they dangled 20 meters off the front for one minute. One unmentioned guy was getting pissed that folks weren't pulling through hard enough and jammed on his brakes a few times when he was done pulling through in frustration.
One word for this stuff - Lame.

Anyway I got pushed off into the grass in the final approach so I didn't get in there but whatever, it was a good ride anyway. I was on the outside before the last corner and today the move went from the inside/middle. The wind was an issue also and I think folks were trying to stay out of it as it was a tailwind in the finish and thus was a crosswind on the straight before the final corner.

So I saw Chris Burke warming up and we made plans to ride back to Providence. Alfredo from Bikeworks was with us too. We went the long way through Hope Valley and Arcadia. It was hot and the sun was very, very strong.
Sunburn is kicking right now - I was wearing sunblock but I think it wore off. Damn. Its a very specific sunburn - hands are white, area around eyes where sunglasses were is white, feet=white, watchband=white. Upper arm: permanent line of white to where jersey is where freckles and today's sunburn take over.
This ride featured all of us sweaty and sunburnt riders stopping at the pizza place on RT 3 and 165 getting a sit down meal of spaghetti at a restaurant - sitting our sweaty asses on their furniture and having a waitress. Classic. Despite my reservations about eating stuff like this I felt great by the end of the ride. We were attacking the hills close in to town even. Of course the first hour or so after the meal was at a good aerobic pace. I ended up with a sunburn, 5:30, a sore left knee and 92 miles for the day. I might go to Wells tomorrow but I might not. I just might do an hour and half of moderate/easy fun type stuff. Maybe even a mountainbike. This is the second time in a week that I've got knee stuff so it might be wise for me to chill on the miles.

I'm trying not to use AC as much as possible but that might be a challenge. I'm on the third floor. It is hot as hell in here. I mean hot...candles and soap become soft. In goes the AC tonight.

No comments: