Saturday, June 14, 2008

Short Monson Report

I had a bad feeling about this race before it began. Everyone in the parking lot had their 'game faces' on and this usually means trouble. In general, the atmosphere was not as relaxed as it has been during previous races this year. Why do I feel this way? I don't know - were a lot of guys anxious about this race? They shouldn't have been. Its only 56 miles and there really aren't major climbs to overcome. Regardless I was in a hurry in the AM and forgot water bottles. I picked up some at the store on the way out. No problem. They fit in my cages well & they were in there tight. I raced with these Gatorade bottles for the first couple years I raced and nothing bad happened they always fit fine. I got dressed and took my position at the rear of the field as about the entire field lined up :20 minutes before the race was supposed to go off. Classic. We began the event by going down a medium sized hill and taking a left onto a main road. It was neutral down the hill which is something I welcomed. Since I was at the rear wanted to move up. I already saw some stupid riding going down the hill - going after places that really weren't there, excessive side to side movement. Everyone knows what I'm talking about so I won't belabor the point. At the bottom of the hill there is a left. I took the left and had to move over because someone took the turn too sharply. OK, no problem. Well I slammed into a deep mean pothole which jettisoned my water bottles. Both of them. Remember, I'm still at the rear and I'm still moving away from Mr. Sketchy. I did not stop to pick them up - I decided to go on. Nate Turillo saved my ass by giving me an extra bottle.

The race was fun and kinda fast from here on out. I moved up into the first 20 bikes or so and stayed there. A few attacks went off but nothing really powerful. About mile 20 it began raining. At mile 30 or so there was a diagonal railroad crossing. I hopped it - it was slick but it wasn't that bad. The next mile there was another crossing & yes, someone hit it wrong. They went down, taking me down and a bunch of others. I didn't really get hurt, just cut up a little and bruised a little bit. I think the bike is ok. This was the end of the race today. Like I said, I knew something was going to happen. From now on, I will be very careful in my event selection. This is usually a good race and I felt very good in the race. I really felt I could have made an impact - especially once I heard the race came apart about 20 miles left which I think would have suited me as I was able to ride through the field on the climbs but whatever, I'll race another day.

No Housatonic for me - I'll do an endurance ride tomorrow.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

yeah that race is crash prone, rain or not, just to easy, the field gets twitchy. you are riding so well you should try doing some more selective races, you'll kill it!!

Anonymous said...

you gotta update bhan! how am i supposed to know whats going on if you don't update. haha.

Anonymous said...

dude i totally saw you puke at the finish line wednesday.
1. that makes you my hero.
2. you should see a doctor.