Monday, March 17, 2008

Wells and today

Typical March racing at Wells yesterday...chilly temps and big fields. I had fun in this race - it felt good to go hard - and not get violently ill during or concluding the race. It was a great feeling to race with teammates, both Scott and Mike were there, both off the front several times during the race. No break got off, but guys were trying, and I think its imperative to try to at least do something. My strategy was to stay up front to try to stay with anything good that went, alas nothing went. The sprint was a touch sketchy with a lot of guys either not having the fitness to sprint out the finish or having consumed themselves with a long leadout effort. Regardless, there was a lot of lateral movement and 'sitting up' in the field sprint....which can lead to a lot of unnecessary chaos. The race did slow down with two to go which I think allowed a lot of forward movement in the field, especially individuals who perhaps riding the race for fitness and thus not doing their share at the front - maybe these very same folks simultaneously desired a result. Regardless, I had fun and am sore today which means hopefully means I'll build some fitness in the next few days.

Well, since its Monday and I feel like complaining:

To all PC students: They cleaned the streets last Friday (Douglas, Eaton, Orms and the surrounding neighborhoods). Glass was minimal on Orms and lower Douglas but was widespread on Eaton and the local neighborhoods. I have a sneaking suspicion that intoxicated college students were involved in some form. I was once a student also and believe me, I had a good time but I don't remember destroying wherever I lived - I had *some* respect for my residence and neighborhood *even* though I might not have been all that attached to it. I don't go where you live *full time* and break bottles on your streets.

3 comments:

team sam said...

We have a similar issue in our neighborhood with JWU students, it's not uncommon to pick broken glass out of our dog's paws.

Anonymous said...

its really unfortunate that the schools (URI included) don't take some action to try and keep tabs on the students living in off (but close to ) campus neighborhoods. having a college in your neighborhood should be cool thing, but we all know it really means you have to be on asshole alert at all times.
JWU is the worst.

Brendan said...

Sorry about those bottles, that was me on my way home from Douglas Liquors.. it's a long ride back to Mt Hope from there you know ;)

Seriously, I think we might need to look out for Molatov Cocktails in our neck of the woods - you hear about that thing on Camp/Jenkins the other night??