Sunday, March 9, 2008

Ninigret #2

I went down to Ninigret today and rode in the training race. I arrived at 9:50 and had just enough time to sign up and then make it to the starting line. Surprisingly, it was cold and windy there. For most of the race, the wind was a cross wind which made the race hard. I got a lot of effort in, including about 7 laps in no mans land between the break and the field - although a good workout, it was really annoying with the wind. It goes without saying that I don't like riding in the wind, I never feel good in it. At the end of the race I once again had stomach problems. After the final sprint, dry heaves for a while (this happened every time last year...midweek races, Wells Ave, USCF races, and especially Wompatuck). My stomach is still upset four hours later. I was so excited last week when I didn't get sick - but then again I had eaten better in the morning and I behaved better on the night prior to the race. My teammate Murat was there and was racing strong. He pulled me around Charlestown after the race in the cold wind. We rode around the Bob Beals course, but in reverse. So I got in a few hours and a lot of solid effort - not a lot of red zone effort but quite a bit of breakaway/TT style efforts which suits my primary training goal of improving these disciplines.

Yesterday, I got a solid hour in on the trainer with 2 x 9 minute intervals with increasing effort every 3 minutes. I felt great and could have gone far harder but I did not want to go too far. During this ride I had some pain on the inferior lateral aspect of my patella - which concerned me a bit but it felt fine today. I think I'm going to keep the trainer in my training all year - at least one good ride like this per week but I'll put four or five of those efforts instead of just two.

I can't wait to get the new get-ups. Maybe next week! Now I've got to study for my mid term and concurrently watch college basketball - my alma mater - UVM just got beat so no tourney for them. I hope Providence makes at least something happen - West Va. on Wed.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

i grew up a providence college basketball fan. for a few years my dad had seasons tickets. including a few of the years that billy donavan was on the team. they were really good back then...