Sunday, March 2, 2008

Finally Racing Again

Ninigret today - preseason type of race. A few primes in there - pretty fun. I felt okay most of the race, although some trouble recovering after max efforts. It was FAST in the back stretch with a tailwind and it was HARD in the finishing stretch with a strong headwind. It felt great to be racing again. I don't care if it doesn't count, I just like racing my bike.

I did not get sick after the race. Last year I got physically ill (nausea, stomach pain, occasional vomiting) after every nearly race, so I was happy about this.
I did about another hour and a half after the race, just riding around SK and Charlestown. I had a lot of trouble with my contacts on the way down there which culminated in throwing out one of the them and keeping only a lens in my left eye. I had both in for the race and for my after race ride though . After the ride I looked in the mirror and my eyes looked like I had been smoking blunts all day - blood red. It is amazing how the smallest little bit in your eye can be so irritating.

I actually walked to get groceries at Whole Foods today. Its not a bad walk (:15), although I don't like walking by Pleasant St. all that much - always a lot of BS down there. I like walking to things - the environmentalist in me likes it b/c I can leave less of a Carbon footprint, my independent spirit enjoys the freedom of walking and it is way less annoying than driving (or biking even) to specifically the Whole Foods on N. Main. I nominate this facility as one of the top ten most frustrating place to drive in the city (the entire downtown cluster, RI Hospital, and Dean St. also are on this list...along with taking a left to get on Hope St. south from Blackstone). For a place that appeals to what is a bike friendly clientele, there are so few places to put your bike. I know they have a rack but it is often full and it is poorly designed. Road bikes do not fit in it all that well.

1 comment:

Brendan said...

I hear you on the Not So Pleasant Street situation. The top half is fine, do not ride down the lower half, ever. Living a block over (Jenkins) from that mess is always a treat. We usually walk over to Whole Foods etc.. never had an issue. That rack definitely isn't big enough!

BTW - were you in P Bike last week? I was the other sick guy..