Sunday, May 11, 2008

Sterling and MTB

The Sterling race is where my lack of training has really been brought to my attention. I felt awful on the climb, especially as time went on - dry heaves, feeling like I wanted to vomit for the second half of the climb. I was unable to do anything but sit-in which was not my intention nor did hanging onto a race fit anywhere in my personal expectations of where I should be right now. I sat up in the sprint because I would have been a total hazard as I would have been falling backwards anyway. Again, I was unable to eat much until the evening - which means I overdid it and thus I need to train more effectively. Apart from this, I think I made a solid deposit in the training bank (because I felt like garbage at the end). I enhanced this deposit with a solid MTB with Mike and Bill (and some other fast dude) this morning. This was the hardest MTB I've ever done as I was at or above threshold much of the time. I want to at least MTB 1X/week from now on. I do need to do quite a bit of work to my bike to get it really ready to ride in the woods at speed - my rear shifter doesn't work right and its really annoying to only have 3 gears.... In addition to working on my bike, I've got to do some work on my fitness as even though I thoroughly enjoyed the ride I felt like I had no power and no fitness most of the time. Every little 20 foot rise felt like a mountain.

Anyway, this was my first 'real' training week in terms of hours for quite some time so I'm quite pleased with it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

No race for me Saturday - I forgot I have a bachelor party to go to...

Steve