Tuesday, February 3, 2009

According to the Chinese Lunar Calendar

Tomorrow is the start of spring. This is verified by Wikipedia and the translation given. It is also known as a cross-quarter day which is halfway between the equinox and the solstice. The ancient Irish Pagans also celebrated this festival as Imbloc - where they attempted to predict the weather. Supposedly this tradition got transferred to St. Brigits day in the UK and Groundhog Day in the US. All of this info is summarized from Wikipedia and is enhanced by the fact that I've been sitting in class tonight and then upon my arrival home - failing to satisfactorily research the topic that I must research because I'm tired, I'm distracted, I don't want to, and I am unconsciously procrastinating. Believe me, ancient Pagan festivals on Wikipedia are much more interesting than the work I have to do.

At time I'll do things spontaneously - solely because I can.
I'm not dead set on doing this but I figure if we leave at 2AM we can get there by 5:30.

2/28/2009
Cadence Cup Prosepct Park Series
online registration closes
2/27/2009 5:00:00 PM ET
Brooklyn
NY

Thats right - did you see the date - February. OK - its a long drive to possibly get dropped for I have not put in a ton of training - but I might finish it. It would be fun anyway.

**wouldn't it suck to get lost driving down to that.

***it would suck even more to get there and not find a parking spot.

Registration for Grants Tomb opens the 13th.

I'll admit it publicly - right now I've got nothing going on except for work, school and the hope for a good bike racing season. I'm fine with this right now also - right now I have to focus on my priorities and training/racing helps me keep my priorities in focus. If this was my life forever than this would totally suck but for a short time period being entirely innundated isn't that bad. This won't last forever and hopefully pays dividends when I'm done. Without a focus I get distracted and become unconsciously self-destructive. Once I get out of this current phase - which will be about the end of April I'll have more focus and clarity on what else life has to offer. The world outside of my current shell does not exist. Vacations - do not exist. Whats an airplane - they don't exist in my world right now. Cars are used to drive to bike races - ONLY. The TV is used to play Eurosport bike races while I listen to bad music on the Ipod.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

yeah. early season racing is fun to think about and cold and annoying to actually do!
that being said i may try to do a bethel to kick off 2009, or perhaps just wait for wells ave.
either way we should do some riding together if possible, i can do day rides on thurs, fri, sat, and short rides on sunday.
honestly i am not focusing on the bike yet, but lets ride some time anyway!

Brendan said...

Hey Scott...I might go down to Bethel also. We should get together one of these days to do a ride...I've got some daytimes next week and most Saturdays are clear. Hey, can you shoot over your phone number?

IMA said...

Prospect Park was the 2nd USCF race I ever did, back in 1987. It was a freezing cold morning at 6:00 am. I was a junior who got dropped like a sack of door knobs.
I never went back.
Who won on that day? A 14 or 15 year old George Hincapie.
I feel old.